Monday, April 18, 2005

Spin The Bottle, You Old So-And-So

Crazy weekend, crazy weekend.

Still resting up - shouldn't have slept through lit hum but the TA's are striking so I'm not getting counted absent today.
Should have done homework over the weekend but never found time.
Should have done so much other stuff that I didn't do
and now the year is ending like three weeks from now
and I'm freaking out
and we can cross Spin the Bottle off the "Games I've Yet To Play" list
and I rearranged my furniture again
Oh yeah, I'm registering for next year's classes in two days
and I need to figure out what the heck I'm doing
better go wash my face
Even though there is a crowd of prospective students standing in the hallway right outside my door
"This is what college looks like, kids! Look at my haggard face!"

AND I JUST REMEMBERED THE FREAKING CRAZIEST DREAM THAT I HAD LAST NIGHT
So we were on a class trip or something...maybe family vacation...I think it was the freshman class at Columbia, plus my brother and some other people...ANYWAY, we were vacationing on this HUGE train under the sea. It was a mammoth train with super-huge cars and we were riding along the bottom of the sea-floor and our cabins looked like our dorm rooms.

I was in my room, getting adjusted, and two friends were visiting me. I decided to open the blinds to have a look at the ocean around us, so I pulled up the blinds, ONLY TO SEE A THIRTY-FOOT ALLIGATOR PRESSING ITS NOSE UP AGAINST MY WINDOW, BENDING THE GLASS LIKE A CARTOON. We all screamed and then somehow I ended up outside the train, with all my classmates and friends watching with horror from the inside of the train. The alligator chased me back and forth for a while, taunting me and telling me horrible things and making me feel miserable. He chased me along this ridge (maybe a volcanic ridge?) that was next to the train tracks in the ocean floor. Eventually he told me that it was his decision to stop, and that I should "think twice next time" or something vague and threatening like that. So then I fucking swam like crazy to the train and only my friend Ashby was freaking out. Apparently everyone else had forgotten what was going on. That, or they were trying to pretend that it didn't happen.

So then I was inside the car and a few kids came up to me and were like "are you ok? That was crazy...PS we're scared to move cars" because to switch between cars would mean that you had to go outside for those two seconds while between cars, and no one wanted to be eaten. I reassured them - "No, I mean, it's okay for ME to go outside because the alligator and I have worked something out."

Then Alison and I looked out the window for a while and noticed how we were looking at huge underwater community of people. There was one guy walking up his sidewalk, walking on top of his "pool," which was actually dirt I think. And everyone was just walking and breathing like normal (everyone outside the train, that is). None of them were mermaids or anything. We talked about how strange it was.

That alligator was HUGE, though. And there was no way I could get away from it using my own wiles. It was totally his decision to let me go safely. Maybe he was lonely or something. I'm still very scared.

...And that's why I fear the ocean.

I don't care that alligators don't usually live there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home